This activity will help you apply the fundamentals of pain management – assessment, treatment, and management of patient with pain – both acute and chronic. Following 2 patient cases, this 4-part, short form, video-based activity, will provide strategies treat patients with pain while reducing serious adverse outcomes resulting from inappropriate prescribing, misuse, and abuse of opioid analgesics.
Each of the 4 30-minute episodes, will take you into an engaging learning environment. Experience the video content while gaining access to useful tools and resources available for download.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be better able to:
- Perform an effective assessment of patients with pain to determine the most appropriate treatment options, including identification of patients at risk of abuse and addiction.
- Create an effective pain treatment plan, including use of nonpharmacologic approaches and non-opioid pharmacotherapies as appropriate.
- Initiate, modify, and discontinue opioid analgesic therapy in a safe manner.
- Manage ongoing therapy for patients using opioid analgesic therapy, including modification of treatment strategies as needed to achieve adequate pain relief in the shortest duration.
- Employ best-practices for counseling patients and caregivers about the safe and most effective use of opioid analgesic therapies.
- Discuss the basic elements of addiction medicine, particularly opioid use disorder.