MGD-Associated Dry Eye Disease – How Emerging Options May Shift the Treatment Paradigm
December 21, 2022
December 21, 2023
Scroll to the Bottom of this Information to Begin this Course
This activity is provided by Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC.
This activity is supported by an educational grant from Bausch + Lomb.
- Optometrists — 1.0 hours of Continuing Education credit by COPE
All other healthcare professionals completing this course will be issued a statement of participation.
The target audience for this activity is optometrists and other health care professionals who are involved in the management of patients with MGD-associated DED.
Meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD) is a complex, multifactorial disorder that can lead to altered tear film composition and ocular surface disease. In fact, MGD is one of the most common causes of dry eye disease (DED). Although multiple treatment options are available, therapies that target the underlying pathophysiology of the disease are lacking. Emerging agents with novel mechanisms for treating MGD may ultimately provide new treatment alternatives.
This Community Practice Connections™ program provides an in-depth review of some of the key highlights from a live symposium held during the American Academy of Optometry Annual Meeting 2022 in October. This unique and engaging multimedia activity is ideal for the community-based clinician and focuses on the practical aspects of managing patients with MGD-associated DED, putting recent clinical trial data into clinical context. The program is designed for clinicians who did not attend the live meeting and to help reinforce learnings for those who did.
- Distinguish burden of disease associated with MGD-associated DED
- Analyze key trial data surrounding therapies used for the treatment of MGD-associated DED
- Recognize the mechanisms of action of emerging agents for the treatment of MGD-associated DED
- Evaluate safety, efficacy, and key clinical trial data for emerging agents being studied for the potential treatment of MGD-associated DED
Kelly K. Nichols, OD, MPH, PhD, FAAO
University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Optometry
Marc R. Bloomenstein, OD, FAAO
Director, Optometric Services
Schwartz Laser Eye Center
Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC, designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC, is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #16669, for 1.0 Contact Hours.
Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC, is accredited by COPE to provide continued education to optometrists.
Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC, designates this activity for a maximum of 1.0 COPE credits.
Faculty, Staff, and Planners’ Disclosures
The staff of Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC, have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible entities.
- Kelly K. Nichols, OD, MPH, PhD, FAAO
- Grant/Research Support: Aramis, Kowa Pharmaceuticals, National Institutes of Health, ScienceBased Health, Sylentis, TearScience
- Consultant: AAerie Pharmaceuticals, Aldeyra Therapeutics, Allergan/AbbVie, AXIM Biotechnologies, Bausch + Lomb Corporation, Bruder, Dompé, HanAll Biopharma, Kala Pharmaceuticals, Nicox, Novartis, Osmotica Pharmaceuticals/RVL Pharmaceuticals, Oyster Point Pharma, Palatin, Sight Sciences, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited, Tarsus Pharmaceuticals, Thea Pharma, Trukera, Versea, Visionology, Xequel, YuYu Pharmaceuticals
- Shareholder: Alcon/Tear Film Innovations, AXIM Biotechnologies, Visionology
- Marc R. Bloomenstein, OD, FAAO
- Grant/Research Support: Sight Sciences
- Consultant: Allergan, Bausch + Lomb Corporation, Bruder, Johnson & Johnson, Novartis, Oyster Point Pharma, Reichert Technologies, Sight Sciences, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited, Tarsus Pharmaceuticals, Visus Therapeutics
- Speakers’ Bureau: Allergan, Bausch + Lomb Corporation, Johnson & Johnson, Oyster Point Pharma, Sight Sciences, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited.
PER® mitigated all COI for faculty, staff, and planners prior to the start of this activity by using a multistep process.
Instructions for Participation and Credit
- Complete the activity (including pre- and post-activity assessments).
- Answer the evaluation questions.
- Request credit using the drop-down menu.
Course Viewing Requirements
Internet Explorer 8.0+ for Windows 2003, Vista, XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and above
Google Chrome 28.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Mozilla Firefox 23.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Safari 6.0+ for Mac OSX 10.7 and above
Supported Phones & Tablets:
Android 4.0.3 and above
iPhone/iPad with iOS 6.1 or above
Off-Label Disclosure and Disclaimer
This activity may or may not discuss investigational, unapproved, or off-label use of drugs. Learners are advised to consult prescribing information for any products discussed. The information provided in this accredited activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent clinical judgment of a health care professional relative to diagnostic, treatment, or management options for a specific patient’s medical condition. The opinions expressed in the content are solely those of the individual faculty members and do not reflect those of PER® or any company that provided commercial support for this activity.