Expert Illustrations & Commentaries™: Targeting Immune Cells to Treat Multiple Sclerosis
April 28, 2023
April 28, 2024
Multiple Sclerosis, New Drugs
This activity is provided by Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC.
This activity is supported by an educational grant from Merck Healthcare KGaA, Darmstadt Germany.
- Physicians — maximum of 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
- Nurses — 1.25 Contact Hours
All other healthcare professionals completing this course will be issued a statement of participation.
This educational activity is directed toward healthcare providers serving multiple sclerosis patients, including neurologists, MS specialists, PCPs, NPs, and PAs. Patients and caregivers will also be able to access necessary resources.
This Expert Illustrations and Commentaries™ is a video-based program in which 2 experts discuss the role of immune cells in the pathogenesis of MS, as well as current and emerging disease modifying therapies (DMTs) for MS, strategies for developing personalized care to improve outcomes, and QoL issues for patients living with this disease. Their discussion is enriched with the use of video animations to illustrate MS pathophysiology, as well as the mechanism of action of BTK inhibitors in MS. The use of these animated segments helps make complicated subject matter more easily understood. This unique format is designed to help clinicians identify best practices in the management of MS and to improve outcomes for their patients with this disease.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be better able to:
- Discuss the role of immune cells in the pathogenesis of MS
- Evaluate clinical trial data for current and emerging disease-modifying therapies for patients with MS
- Formulate individualized treatment plans for the optimal management of MS using principles of patient-centered care
Gavin Giovannoni, MBBCh, PhD, FCP (Neurol., SA), FRCP, FRCPath
Professor of Neurology
Medicine and Dentistry
Queen Mary University of London
Mitzi J. Williams, MD, FAAN
Joi Life Wellness Group
Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC, designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC, is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #16669, for 1.25 Contact Hours.
Faculty, Staff, and Planners’ Disclosures
The staff of Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC, have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible entities.
- Gavin Giovannoni, MBBCh, PhD, FCP (Neurol., SA), FRCP, FRCPath
- Grant/Research Support: Abbvie, Aslan, Atara Bio, Biogen, BMS-Celgene, GlaxoSmithKline, Janssen, Japanese Tobacco, Jazz Pharmaceuticals, LifNano, Merck & Co., Merk KGaA/EMD Serono, Moderna, Novartis, Sanofi, Takeda, Roche/Genentech
- Consultant: Abbvie, Aslan, Atara Bio, Biogen, BMS-Celgene, GlaxoSmithKline, Janssen, Japanese Tobacco, Jazz Pharmaceuticals, LifNano, Merck & Co., Merk KGaA/EMD Serono, Moderna, Novartis, Sanofi, Roche/Genentech
- Mitzi J. Williams, MD, FAAN
- Grant/Research Support: Biogen Idec, Novartis
- Consultant: Alexion, Biogen, EMD Serono, Genentech, Horizon, Novartis, Sanofi-Genzyme, TG Therapeutics
- Speaker’s Bureau: Biogen Idec, EMD Serono, Genentech, TG Therapeutics
PER® mitigated all COI for faculty, staff, and planners prior to the start of this activity by using a multistep process.
Instructions for Participation and Credit
- Complete the activity (including pre- and post-activity assessments).
- Answer the evaluation questions.
- Request credit using the drop-down menu.
You may immediately download your certificate.
Course Viewing Requirements
Internet Explorer 8.0+ for Windows 2003, Vista, XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and above
Google Chrome 28.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Mozilla Firefox 23.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Safari 6.0+ for Mac OSX 10.7 and above
Supported Phones & Tablets:
Android 4.0.3 and above
iPhone/iPad with iOS 6.1 or above
Off-Label Disclosure and Disclaimer
This activity may or may not discuss investigational, unapproved, or off-label use of drugs. Learners are advised to consult prescribing information for any products discussed. The information provided in this accredited activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent clinical judgment of a health care professional relative to diagnostic, treatment, or management options for a specific patient’s medical condition. The opinions expressed in the content are solely those of the individual faculty members and do not reflect those of PER® or any company that provided commercial support for this activity.