Community Practice Connections™: Expert Approaches in Cataract Surgery – Managing Advances in Techniques and Technologies With an Updated Armamentarium
December 21, 2022
December 21, 2023
Scroll to the Bottom of this Information to Begin this Course
This activity is provided by Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC.
This activity is supported by educational grants from Alcon, Bausch + Lomb, and Johnson & Johnson Vision.
- Physicians — maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- Nurses — 1.5 Contact Hours
- Optometrists — 1.5 COPE Credits
All other healthcare professionals completing this course will be issued a statement of participation.
For Optometrists seeking COPE Credit, please click here: https://learning.freecme.com/a/41056PTiAe3
This online educational activity is directed toward ophthalmologists and other health care professionals involved in the management of patients with cataracts.
Surgical removal of cataracts and implantation with intraocular lenses (IOLs) is an increasingly common procedure. The growing variety of pre- and intraoperative surgical devices and IOLs is expanding options for both patients and clinicians. Appropriate technique and IOL selection for each patient is key to optimizing patient satisfaction and visual outcomes.
This Community Practice Connections™ program provides an in-depth review of some of the key highlights from a symposium held at the American Academy of Ophthalmology meeting, in October 2022. This unique and engaging multimedia activity is ideal for eye care clinicians, as it focuses on practical approaches to optimizing cataract surgery outcomes and integrating technology advances into clinical practice. The program is designed for those who did not attend the live meeting and to help reinforce learnings for those who did.
- Upon completion of this activity, you should be better able to:
- Implement diagnostic strategies preoperatively and intraoperatively to enhance clinical outcomes associated with cataract surgery
- Apply surgical practices and IOL technologies that are individualized to patient needs
- Formulate strategies for the prevention and management of intraoperative complications during cataract surgery
- Explain innovations in technologies for cataract surgery
Sumit Garg, MD
Vice Chair of Clinical Ophthalmology
Director of TechnologyProfessor – Cataract, Corneal & Refractive Surgery
Gavin Herbert Eye Institute
University of California, Irvine
Terry Kim, MD
Professor of Ophthalmology
Duke University School of Medicine
Chief, Cornea and External Disease Service
Director, Refractive Surgery Service
Duke University Eye Center
Francis Mah, MD
Director, Cornea Service
Co-director, Refractive Surgery Service
La Jolla, CA
O. Bennett Walton, MD, MBA
Cataract, Refractive & Cornea Surgeon
Slade & Baker Vision
Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC, designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC, is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #16669, for 1.5 Contact Hours.
Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC (PER) is accredited by COPE to provide continuing education to optometrists.
Faculty, Staff, and Planners’ Disclosures
The staff of Physicians’ Education Resource®, LLC have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible entities.
- Sumit Garg, MD
- Consultant: Aldeyra Therapeutics Inc, Allergan, Avellino Lab USA, CorneaGen, Dompé, Expert Opinion, ForSight Robotics, Glaukos Corp, JJV, Kala Pharmaceuticals Inc, LensGen, NWM, OcuTrx Technologies, Oyster Point Pharma, Samsara Vision, Sight Sciences, SpyGlass, Tarsus Pharmaceuticals, Visus Therapeutics
- Shareholder: Avellino Lab USA, Expert Opinion, ForSight Robotics, LensGen, OcuTrx Technologies, SpyGlass, Tarsus Pharmaceuticals, Visus Therapeutics
- Terry Kim, MD
- Consultant: Aerie Pharmaceuticals, Alcon, Allergan, Avellino Lab USA, Azura Ophthalmics, Bausch + Lomb Corp, CorneaGen, Dompé, Eyenovia, Glaukos Corp, HTL Biotechnology, Johnson & Johnson, Kala Pharmaceuticals, LENZ Therapeutics, Novartis, Ocular Therapeutix, Oculis, Omeros, Palatin Technologies, Santen Pharmaceutical, Sight Sciences, Simple Contacts, Surface Ophthalmics, Visionology, Zeiss
- Shareholder: Avellino Lab USA, CorneaGen, Eyenovia, Kala Pharmaceuticals, LENZ Therapeutics, Ocular Therapeutix, Omeros Corp, Simple Contacts, Surface Ophthalmics
- Francis Mah, MD
- Consultant: Alcon, Bausch + Lomb, J&J Vision, RXSight
- Speakers’ Bureau: Bausch + Lomb, J&J Vision
- O. Bennett Walton, MD, MBA
- Grant/Research Support: Alcon, Beaver-Visitec International, RxSight
- Consultant: AbbVie/Allergan, Alcon, Beaver-Visitec International, LENSAR, RxSight, Carl Zeiss, Meditec
- Speakers’ Bureau: Zeiss, Alcon
- Shareholder: RxSight
PER® mitigated all COI for faculty, staff, and planners prior to the start of this activity by using a multistep process.
Instructions for Participation and Credit
- Complete the activity (including pre- and post-activity assessments).
- Answer the evaluation questions.
- Request credit using the drop-down menu.
Course Viewing Requirements
Internet Explorer 8.0+ for Windows 2003, Vista, XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and above
Google Chrome 28.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Mozilla Firefox 23.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Safari 6.0+ for Mac OSX 10.7 and above
Supported Phones & Tablets:
Android 4.0.3 and above
iPhone/iPad with iOS 6.1 or above
Off-Label Disclosure and Disclaimer
This activity may or may not discuss investigational, unapproved, or off-label use of drugs. Learners are advised to consult prescribing information for any products discussed. The information provided in this accredited activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent clinical judgment of a health care professional relative to diagnostic, treatment, or management options for a specific patient’s medical condition. The opinions expressed in the content are solely those of the individual faculty members and do not reflect those of PER® or any company that provided commercial support for this activity.